Saturday, November 8, 2008

KYLE MINOR. IN THE DEVIL'S TERRITORY. DZANC

This is the first line from the first story:

"I hate Christmas, but this year is different because there is a small chance my wife will die and take our unborn child with her."

With an opening line that fucking great, nothing else really needs to be said, but I'll give you a few blurbs from people who have written great things, just to seal the deal.

“In the Devil’s Territory is a brilliant, electrifying debut by one of America’s best young writers. Filled with grace and wisdom, Kyle Minor’s bold, compassionate stories burn deep into the eternal mysteries and violent truths of the human experience with the force of a welding torch cranked to the max. I would walk through Hell to be able to write like him.”
Donald Ray Pollock, author of Knockemstiff

“Who is Kyle Minor and how does he know so much about the dark caverns of the human heart? What whispered spells does he cast to make me laugh and weep and gasp and clench my jaw all in the same page? From what secret river does he pull his sentences, glittering and sinuous? Faced with such captivating writing, I have only amazed questions—because Kyle Minor has all the answers.”
Benjamin Percy, author of Refresh, Refresh and The Language of Elk

No comments: