Thursday, October 2, 2008

KELLY SPITZER INTERVIEWS JACOB APPEL

Read this EXCERPT, then read the ENTIRE INTERVIEW HERE.

KELLY:

You’ve amassed quite a list of publication credits, in very reputable journals, I might add. How long have you been writing? Do you have any tips, or secrets, on how to get published?

JACOB:

... I am increasingly confident that the secret to publication is relentlessness. Keep writing, keep sending out your work, respond to rejection by sending out even more work. If a journal sends you a note stating that your style just isn’t what they’re looking for, which has happened to me on multiple occasions, wait until that editor retires and try again. I have acquired more than 11,000 rejection letters and I’ve published fewer than one hundred stories. From a statistical point of view, I have failed abysmally. But I think few writers “fail” because they don’t have raw talent or potential; most aspiring writers don’t publish because they give up too soon.

I love you Jacob.

No comments: